Labor Day BBQ at BLD
September 3, 2018
Special thanks to Rod Schemp, Ed Rushing, and Bob Olsen for their contributions to this event.
The 10/10/18 Board Meeting minutes has been posted on the Board Minutes page.
The Assigning New Players to a Team, Pool Player, and Rating Procedure for Local Players policies have been updated. Refer to the above redlined policies under the Rules & Policies page on this website.
Our next board meeting is scheduled for TBD at TBD, 12 pm after BP.
Topics will include suggested rule changes, the AED, and the Bob Kapeller Memorial Tournament 2019.
As always, league players are welcome to attend.
The game schedule was changed due to BLD’s “overseeding” of all six fields on Monday, 10/1.
These games will be made up during the second half of the fall season by adding a doubleheader for each of the local teams. The season will not be extended. Also, BLD will not be available for BP on Wednesday, 10/3.
Refer to the Fall 2018 Schedule of Games – Rev. 2 under the Schedule & Standings page on this website.
It has come to our attention that there is a safety concern during the pre- 9:00 am games batting practice when one team hits from the infield and the other team hits from an outfield corner. Effective immediately:
On the replica fields: (1) in games involving out-of-area teams vs. local teams, both teams will hit from the infield, and (2) in games involving local teams only, both teams will combine to hit from the right field corner.
On the minor league fields, either (1) or (2) above is OK independent of the teams involved in the game.
The 9/3 Labor Day schedule was changed by moving the 12 pm game to the following week and the other games up 1 hour. The 2-day tournament at BLD that weekend will not impact the schedule.
Refer to the Fall 2018 Schedule of Games – Rev. 1 under the Schedule & Standings page on this website.
We will also be having a Labor Day BBQ in the BLD parking lot after our games.
The player draft was held on Mon, August 20 and Wed, August 22, Pizza Factory/Menifee, 12 pm after BP.
The Fall 2018/Spring 2019 Draft List (without board ratings) has been posted on the new Draft Info page.
The board ratings have been supplied to the team managers.
Since only 72 players could be drafted (12 players/team x 6 teams), some players on the draft list were not.
Players not drafted were rated a “6” and placed on the waiting list and in the player pool.
The “2018 SSUSA Rule Changes” below were adopted by MVUDSS and went into effect on December 18, 2017.
It appears that some may not be aware that league historical information such as pictures, archives (final standings, playoff/tournament results, a brief summary article for every season), disabled veterans tournaments, an In Memoriam page, etc. can be found on the Archives page under “Useful Links”.
There seems to be some confusion as to which fields are BLD1 and BLD2. As you are aware, a sign is posted at the entrance to the park indicating which of the six fields we will be using. The first field listed will be BLD1; the second field listed will be BLD2.
After the last game on a given field, the local home team will be responsible for taking down the pitching screen and giving it to Steve Baranick or one of the other Board members. However, if the last game involves only one local team, that team will take down the screen.
A new page identifying businesses and services provided by some of our players has been added to this website. If you’d like to advertise, please give your business card to Steve Baranick.
Refer to the Businesses/Services page under “Useful Links”.
The 8-team Fall 2018 14-game regular season will start on August 27, 2018 and will run through December 10, 2018; followed by a single-elimination tournament on December 17, 2018. There will be one doubleheader for each of the 6 local teams in the initial schedule; however, this may change and/or the season may even be extended a week or two to make up games, such as rainouts.
- All teams will be seeded based on the SSUSA seeding criteria.
- All eight teams will play a post-season single-elimination tournament.
- Teams may pick up players from the league players, the waiting list, or the player pool.
- The higher seed will have its choice of home or visitor.
- Separate awards will be presented to the regular season champions and the tournament champions.
Rule Additions / Changes
- Rule 3. Replaced “considered to be 55 as of September 1” with “eligible to play during the Fall season”
- Rule 4b. Removed requirement allowing out-of-area players to play in 2 games prior to Board rating.
- Rule 5. “Offense“, clarified that rule applies to all (including out-of-area) teams,
removed Note regarding re-entry rule, and added lineup card requirements.
- Rule 17. “Over-the-Fence Home Run Rule”, added “The home team may go 1 up in the open inning(s)”.
Increased the maximum HRs from 4 to 5 before the 1-up, with over-the-limit HRs a single instead of an out.
$45/player for the 6 local teams. $630/team for Sammy’s Cafe and North County (based on a 14-man roster).
Fee due Monday, August 27. Make checks payable to Steve Baranick or Joe Hansell.
DO NOT make them payable to MVUDSS.
The Monday league board of directors has unanimously agreed that pitching screens are to be used only for Monday league games, batting practices, and other league-sanctioned events. They are not to be used for any other purpose.
We will be having batting practices:
- Wednesdays at BLD/Perris, 9:00 am
- Mondays (while on hiatus) and Fridays at Spencer’s Crossing/Murrieta, Torrey Pines/Murrieta, or
Lago Vista/Menifee, 9:00 am
Schedule (next games)
|Week 14||November 26, 2018|
|9:00 am||Blue Bolts vs. Hankster’s Gangsters||Gray Matter vs. North County|
|10:30 am||Whitey Fjords vs. Better Red Than Dead||North County vs. Royal PITA|
Home team listed first.
No Games on November 12 and November 19.
2018 SSUSA Rule Changes
Several rule changes/clarifications were approved by the SSUSA Rules Committee and went into effect on December 1, 2017.
MVUDSS incorporated the following rule changes into its fall 2017/spring 2018 seasons.
- COURTESY RUNNER OFFICIALLY IN GAME (8.5(5)) – Proposal to institute a provision designed to force courtesy runners game entry to be more efficient – “A courtesy runner may enter the game only prior to the first pitch to any batter.” – PASSED: 13‐0 by SSUSA
- PENALTY FOR USING AN ILLEGAL BAT (3.4(7)D) – Proposal to delete sub‐section “D” due to being redundant to other rule book provisions – “
The tournament officials will request the owner of the bat to surrender it for forwarding it to SSWC headquarters. A player’s failure to voluntarily surrender the bat to tournament officials will result in an immediate minimum of one year suspension from play. There will be a subsequent hearing to determine if additional sanctions against the player shall be imposed, and if the bat will be returned to the player or destroyed.“
– PASSED 12‐0 by SSUSA
- GLOVES (3.6) – Proposal to allow the use of mitts by any defensive player – “Gloves and mitts may be worn by any player.”
,but mitts may be used only by the catcher and first baseman.– PASSED 12‐0 by SSUSA
- PITCHERS MANDATED MINIMUM SAFETY EQUIPMENT (6.17) – In response to some pitchers asserting rule compliance by wearing “goggle style” minimally protective equipment, the area of the face that must be protected by a face mask was clarified – “Pitchers (only) MUST wear a face mask that covers the area of the face from above the eyes to the lower part of the chin.
and allAll players, including pitchers, are ENCOURAGED to wear the “recommended”, but not required, additional protective equipment.” – PASSED 12‐0 by SSUSA
- PITCH COUNT (6.2C) – Men’s 50+ through 60+ and women’s 50+ divisions – Batters are allowed only 3 balls and/or 2 strikes, and all batters will start with a 1‐1 ball/strike count. NOTE: On a trial basis for the 2018 season, there will be one “courtesy foul” available to a batter after there are two strikes in the count.
– Not adopted by our league; i.e. the current 0-0 ball/strike count rule will remain.