October 10, 2018

MINUTES MVUDSS BOARD MEETING
10-10-18

IN ATTENDANCE: S. Baranick (SB); J. Hansell (JH); T. Jadwin (TJ); G. Stevenson (GS); R. Schemp (RS)
GUESTS: H. Alberts (HA); R. Barnhart (RB)

1.  Fall 2018 Season
SB announced that approximately 50 people, including North County (NC), attended the Labor Day BBQ after the games at BLD.

2.  Assigning New Players to a Team Policy
In the 7/18/18 Board meeting, JH was asked to update applicable policies relating to assigning new players to a team. This update was to include out-of-area (OOA) teams. This came as a result of the 6/1/18 Board meeting whereby the Board approved a motion to require new OOA players to attend a local BP prior to being placed on an OOA team.

On 8/6/18, JH sent an e-mail to Board members with a revised Assigning New Players to a Team Policy which included reference to OOA teams. He also included changes to the Pool Player and Player Rating Procedure policies to conform with what was being proposed in the revised policy.

Although the proposed changes were not formally approved by the Board during the period of its introduction and leading up to the 10/10/18 Board meeting, his topic was briefly discussed in all subsequent Board meetings. (In the 8/20/18 Board meeting/draft, SB told all the managers in attendance, including M. Karr/B. Miller from NC and Dan Gutierrez from Sammy’s Cafe, that all of the proposed policy had not been formally approved.
The final policy would contain the following: 
(1) teams must bat all players in attendance, unless injured;
(2) over time, through attrition, OOA teams must reduce their maximum roster size from 14 to 12 players;
(3) must have proposed new roster players attend at least two (2) local batting practices so a majority of the Board members can evaluate their level of play. This is reflected in the 8/20/18 Board meeting minutes.)

JH motioned and RS seconded to approve the proposed revised Assigning New Players to a Team Policy with changes.
Motion passed 5-0.

Without vote, but with unanimous consensus of the Board, changes to the Pool Player and Player Rating Procedures policies were approved to conform with the revised Assigning New Players to a Team Policy.

JH to provide SB with the changes above.

3. AED
SB spoke to Andy Bullington (AB), who is unable to take over the role of AED Program Manager from Mike Fagan. AB has agreed to conduct the annual AED training clinic in January, 2019. SB will send an e-mail/text to all managers asking them to poll their players to see if any have experience with AEDs.

(Subsequent to Board meeting, SB sent out text to managers.)
This issue remains an open agenda item.

4. NC – 13 Player Roster
Summarizing NC roster changes for 2018-19:
Out – Jeff Blakeman (2), Donnie Ludwig (3); Pool – Ken Perez (4);
 In – Scott Guthrie/60 major (1) replacing Jim Teeter (1) —- Teeter moved to a 2,
 Nick Basta/65 major (3) replacing Ludwig (3). All of this results in NC’s permanent roster being at 13.

On 9/17, Bob Miller informed SB that he would be replacing Mike Karr as North County manager.

5. Hank Alberts Suggestions/Observations 
HA feels that a different type of “equalizer” should be considered when “local” teams are playing OOA teams. When local teams have their 12 roster players show up for a game against the OOA team, by policy, they are not allowed to pick up a third “1”. He feels this places the local teams at a distinct disadvantage.
He offered the following proposal for the Board to consider:
a.  5-run equalizer instead of extra “1” for local teams, or
b.  if no on a. above, allow 13th player for local teams.

The pros/cons of retaining the existing policy or considering one of the above alternatives were thoroughly discussed. The final conclusion was to leave this as an open agenda item, as we would not make such a change “mid-season” anyway.

6. Step Stools

SB purchased 2 step stools for $26 to retrieve softballs at BLD. He returned those step stools when Ed Rushing (ER) gave the league 2 step stools. Unfortunately, ER’s step stools are not high enough.
At this time, it’s not worth the trouble of buying new ones. We will use ER’s step stools as we are able.

7. Board Members Picture
With HA no longer a Board member and GS joining the Board, a Board picture was taken.
This picture of the current Board will be posted on the league website.

8. Trade
A trade has been requested involving John Sennett of Hankster’s Gangsters for Victor Marzan of Blue Bolts. Both players and managers are in agreement with this trade. JH motioned and GS seconded to approve the trade as requested.
Motion passed 5-0.

9. Bob Kapeller Memorial Tournament (BKMT3) 2019
SB provided the Board with a detailed spreadsheet from the BKMT2 2018, which included “lessons learned” and an assignments list.

HA had previously maintained a separate bank account for “monies” for the BKMT. He closed that account and turned the balance of $50 over to SB. SB will place the $50 in the league checking account, but will keep track of all “monies” for the BKMT which go into the league checking account.

After the completion of the BKMT in February 2018, the Board had discussed without final conclusion as to whether to continue this tournament. The primary issues centered around (1) the difficulty in getting volunteer umpires for all the games and the resulting confusion and (2) the serious time spent on getting raffle prizes and selling raffle tickets. The general consensus of the Board is that if these two “issues” can be resolved that we should go forward with the tournament.

JH motioned and TJ seconded that we hold the BKMT in 2019.
Motion passed 4-1 (TJ).

JH motioned and GS seconded that we hire “professional” umpires for ALL GAMES and that we pay umpires $30/game. Motion passed 5-0.

JH motioned and SB seconded that we hold ONLY a 50-50 raffle.
Motion passed 5-0.

The unanimous consensus of the Board, without vote, was that we will NOT hold a “regular” raffle with prizes. SB will speak to Elite Sports as to whether they will have representation at the tournament.

SB indicated that we had 20 teams in 2018, but we can handle up to 22 teams. We guarantee 3 games to all teams. The general consensus is that 20 teams would give us a greater chance to complete all games in the allowable timeframe. SB reminded us that we are in receipt of an e-mail from Tom Lowry (TL)/BLD, from earlier in the year, in which he requested that we consider holding the tournament on a Tuesday instead of Wednesday. TL indicated that Wednesday is youth baseball day. They use all 6 fields and the kids are normally on the fields by 4:30 pm, with games starting at 5:30 pm. He indicated that when our games end later, it makes it very difficult for his crew to get the fields ready for the kids.

General consensus of the Board is that playing on Tuesday could have a detrimental impact on teams participating, particularly teams from Menifee and Hemet recreation leagues, both of which play on Tuesday. To assist this possibility, the general consensus of the Board, with SB dissenting, is to eliminate the opening ceremony. This will allow us to start games at 8:00 am instead of 8:45 am. SB will contact TL/BLD, about this issue. Date for tournament has yet to be confirmed. SB has identified a tentative date of 2/26/19, with a backup date of 3/5/18. Both dates are on a Tuesday, so Wednesday dates are going to have to be determined.
(Subsequent to the Board meeting, SB spoke to TL. We will keep the BKMT on a Wednesday. The tournament will be held on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, with a backup date of Wednesday, March 6, 2019.)
Without vote, but by unanimous consensus of the Board, we will stay with “4 Paws 4 Patriots “as the charity for this tournament.

JH motioned and RS seconded that we will set the team tournament fee for 2019 at $285.

Motion passed 4-0. GS absent.